We honestly did not care who won, because well, it's like damned if we do and damned if we don't as Penguins fans.
Sounds lame but we just wanted a good game. And thankfully that's what we got.
It was fast and hard-hitting and had quite a few goals. The game was also exciting with the penalty shot and the goals back and forth.
Our favorite parts of the game are easy enough to figure out:
- Dan Girardi's roll call
very, um, involved we have to say and now we have new nicknames for a few of the boys...Ryan 'always do it the right way' Callahan.
- the anthems were very moving and we couldn't stop staring at the beautiful boys in their pretty uniforms...we're girls, forgive us
- Brayden Schenn's first NHL goal scored at the fifth Winter Classic?
Really? Some people are just lucky.
- Then Claude Giroux scored.
And you should know how we feel about this little ginger snap so when he scored, we celebrated with a shot of wine.
- The hitting. This was an intense game between 'bitter rivals' as everyone keeps reminding us but is was true. You could feel the animosity and hatred between the two teams.
- Mike Rupp.
He may not be a Penguin anymore but that doesn't mean we don't love him because we really do. It's sad but we can't help how much we heart his stupid face.
- Two goals from Rupp. Yes, sweet baby J, that's what we like to see.
It was like he channeled Sidney 'big-time goal scorer' Crosby and went out there and took over the game.
- And who got the game-winner? Oh, Brad Richards. Of course he did!
What a goal.
- The last five minutes were edge of your seat intense. It was really good hockey and exciting.
- The Briere penalty shot.
We were definitely biting our nails.
- Henrik Lundqvist's heroics. What a goaltender. What a human.
- This was definitely one of the best Winter Classic games that we have seen and we loved watching every minute of it.